Saturday, April 24, 2010

BE Projects in VESIT

Right from my second year I was thinking of my BE Project. Though I did not knew anything technical at that time but CSI with its VB workshop gave birth to the programmer inside me. I started my plan of final year project in VB. Even I don’t know what all we discussed that could be done as a BE Project. I even consulted Arvind considering him better than me in technical field and also his brother was 1 year senior to us and can guide him better.

I will not say that we only discussed. I and Ankit tried VB to check whether we can code or not. We developed calculators, notepads, etc to start with. Then we continued to develop some reservation systems, contact book and even an application to send messages. As it was a machine application you need to login to a single machine and check or send mail. It had features like Compose, Inbox (with sender’s name and time), Sent Mails, etc. I will not say that we matched features of normal mail client but as a second year student I was satisfied. This satisfaction was so huge that we started thinking our ideas implementation wise. Only problem was that using VB we only knew to develop applications restricted to a single machine.

Then came fourth semester when IEEE workshop of HTML was conducted. I was happy to learn HTML and I, Ankit Haria and Vinay Punjabi launched individual websites. HTML was another great thing we learned but again what project can we develop just using static pages. Then my brain started giving me jerks. If we cannot develop dynamic pages then how Orkut could do it? Again I consulted my technical person Arvind and the reply was ASP. He tried to give me some idea but was in vain. I understood that it is beyond my scope and Orkut must have recruited many persons for this thing. I left idea of creating website as my BE Project and made myself busy in boring work of assignment and journal completion. But the Time again changed and this time website entered my life never to quit when we started with Alumni website. Even the Alumni website development was interesting and I have posted it on my Blog.

With the help of my friends Ankit, Prasad, Charu, Ishita and Jinkyas I had some idea of PHP. Charu helped me to start nicely and Prasad, sorry SIR PRASAD taught me throughout my engineering. Still I am yet to learn from him how to send reply from server to client without request. Leave the technical aspect and just know that they all helped me to learn PHP. Ankit has been my best competitor for my entire engineering. He forced me to run till the place I am standing.

Now let me talk about second lot of people – CRITICS. These proved very useful for me. They praised me, laughed at me, motivated me, de-motivated me but more than everything they gave me next challenge to work on.

If this feature could be added on your website then it would be nice

My whole third year went in developing websites or adding features to my website. Time to time different ideas kept coming to my mind. In third year itself I and Ankit developed an Attendance Management System which was not used in our college. Not because it lacked features but because management was not bothered to see work of two third year students.

One thing pinches me very much, the website of our college. I know VESIT have potential to develop wonderful website. But no one is interested in the development of such things. You point to any student’s website and it would be better than college’s website. Students are willing to work but the management or upper committee teachers are not interested. They don’t want us to develop website they just want us to WRITE A SHORT NOTE ON WEBSITE.

In the start of sixth semester I approached a faculty for permission to do a project in BARC. They asked me for details and I brought system’s diagram with the details of what we would be doing. After meeting the teachers for a semester I got information that PRINCIPAL IS NOT ALLOWING OUT-HOUSE PROJECTS. After that point I thought to develop a website for college with all information like attendance, marks, PRAXIS, UTSAV, society information, file sharing, social networking for VESIT students, Alumni contact and what not. There were over 25 modules in the project. During the vacations we even did some documentation with features and modules and also implemented basic design of the application.

After vacations we joined college as a FINAL YEAR STUDENT. Again a shock was waiting.

STUDENTS WILL HAVE TO CHOOSE PROJECT ONLY FROM A LIST.

So, welcome to VESIT. You cannot choose your own BE Project.
After that point onwards I never had interest in my BE Project. Teachers may claim that students do not put their 100% in their BE Project. But I would say it never was our BE Project, it was faculty’s project. BE Project is meant for observing the industry and we completed the project sitting between walls of our rooms.

Faculty should understand that all students do not want Research Projects, some may like application development and even other may like to study some advanced technology. Students should be given right to choose their project and mentor. I don’t disrespect the teachers but this impression in my mind for the teachers is very sad for me. I am leaving the institute in a month or two. Please consider my thought and pain for my juniors to come

We students plan our projects from first year onwards. Please respect our ideas and give us change. I know we will perform as that time we will be working on OUR projects.

As I don’t expect an early response by VESIT, BEST OF LUCK for juniors to come (may be for many batches) for their allocated projects (of faculties). And do not get demoralized by this post. Excepts for few issues VESIT is one of the best colleges in Mumbai and after placement week I can surely assure this. But scope for improvement remains……

5 comments:

  1. Thank You for considering me as your competitor and together we shall and together we can. So what if you are in D and i am in A, the hobby will continue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ankit has been my best competitor for my entire engineering. He forced me to run till the place I am standing."-truly inspiring.

    this feeling of having a good competition with someone is really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I envy by the way you two(u n ankit) have worked all the way from 1st or mebbe 2nd year towards technical aspect. i agree i didn't give my 100% in ALUMNI website(few modules than what was expected) but if u see the way i have given my 100% for my BE project mebbe u will c i m not that bad either. so certainly i hope i can work. Please do not call me SIR or anything i don't understand whether to take that as taunt(sarcasm) or genuine remark, because you have mentioned nothing that makes me deserve that remark."
    Hope u reason out this point!!

    As far as the blog goes, well written and well connected. Feeling honored that you included my name....obliged! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prasad I have not provided reason for saying SIR because I dont need to.
    Sun rises from east is a universal truth and we need not explain it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. still it doesn't justify. Sun rises from east bcoz earth moves from west to east.
    So i hope it wud be great if you provide me the reason! if not here u can mail me.:P

    ReplyDelete