Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Development of My Website

Though it is already present on my website, just for records I am posting it here also.

The idea to build this website started in Semester 3 when I saw a post in the Orkut (VESIT COMPS 2010 Batch) stating the need to have a common yahoo group to share the assignment questions or programs. We could share information on Orkut but could not share files. Moreover there were student who did not wanted to join Orkut due to personal reasons (like Motorola). Also I don't know why but I did not wanted to create a new Email Id just to be in yahoo group as I was using GMAIL.

But as I created an Yahoo Id the situation changed. The idea was dropped or was not properly supported by the students. A database was created and the CR would mail the stuff to all. So problem was solved.

But, during SEM 3 exams my ID got hacked. Then I created a new ID and asked for the database to inform all. Suraj gave me the database. I sent the mail stating my new Email Address to all my classmates. To my surprise I got 13 mail errors. Also many of them who got the mail stopped using that Email ID. So database idea had these flaws.

As I was thinking to overcome this, IEEE conducted a workshop on web site design (HTML). I started with the personal site development as that was the topic for the IEEE's Web Design Contest. I don't know when that competition came and gone but I was having my first website.

But I was new to the site building hence the site was of no use to anyone and I was using database mail system ie send to all type and deleted the Email Id giving mail errors.

At the end of SEM 4 we were passed a page in the DBMS lab for the interested students in the alumni website creation. My partners Ankit Haria, Vinay Punjabi and Bhushan Jagia asked me to fill the languages known column up to an extent no one have filled. I even wrote photoshop in the languages to increase the size of the column. We all forgot about this during SEM 4.

At one of the MID SEM exam, as usual I left early and was on my way back to home and I got a call from Vinay saying I need to meet Mrs Gresha Bhatia Mam that day. I thought I wrote wrong roll number on my paper. Then Arvind also called me for the same and I asked him the reason. He told me I was selected for the Alumni Website. Then I also got calls from Swati and Mayur Khanzode informing for the same.

Obviously I reached late. There was a round table conference going on. Rightmost was Apurva Nair then Prasad, Ajinkya, Ishita and Charu. I took the stool from the lab and sat at the end. Seeing me Mam asked me DO YOU REALLY WANT TO DO THIS? I said 'YES, Why Mam?'. She said "I asked you seeing the list of the languages. I think you are not interested and just filled nonsense there!! Is photoshop a language?". I was quite but SMILING. She asked us to meet Sumit Pilankar in his office at Ghatkopar. We (all for the first and the last time) went there and asked for the task. He said we will have to design the website on PHP as the server he own is php server. 'PHP? what is this?'. We all were confused and scared as the time was for the Pls and he had a huge project with a new language. We asked him whether we could start after SEM 4. He agreed and asked us to study something during PLs. I doubt anyone did that and we all were busy with the semester exams.

Then after the last exam I asked Prasad to call him. As usual Prasad said 'ARE YAAR KUCH DIN TO RUK!!'. After all we studied for the exams (not like me). Then I went to my hometown and returned after 10 days. Others had 2 meeting and started with the database insertion and deletion. Everyone one started and I was not even knowing what to do. One day Charu was ONLINE on gmail and I asked her, "whether I could do something or everything is bouncer. Mujhse hoga kya?". She said "NO, it's easy. Visit this link". I don't remember the link (could be W3 Schools), the site was good with only basics but covering many topics.

Then I again started to develop my personal site as we were asked to test the codes on different site till Alumni website is started.

Then I asked Ankit to search for a FREE php server. We got 0fees with 300MB space. Ankit also got interested in PHP and but was not interested in the new site but was developing his HTML site. He helped me with the technical and non-technical issues. So he too became comfortable with PHP and started with the COMP 2010 Batch site. I said, "DO NOT CREATE CLASS WEBSITE AS YOU DO NOT HAVE AUTHORITY TO DO THAT. PROVIDE SAME THINGS IN YOUR SITE.". But he continued saying "KUCH NAHI HOGA RE". I don't know why but the site was not published.

With some knowledge of PHP I created login page but the problem was you could login pressing BACK button. Such issues were cleared very well by Sumit. I started developing my site parallel with the Alumni site and is still doing it!!!

Then I advertised my site with the start of this semester (SEM 5) and I got registrations of 13 in a month. I thought to delete the site but then came the golden moment. There was a JAVA presentation to be sent to all. Ankit asked me to mail and upload in your site. I did the same but I thought forcing them to register is not a good idea. So I provided the facility to both registered and unregistered members. At that time I used to get 7-8 registrations daily. That really encouraged me. Seeing 10 mails daily in my INBOX of registration was a wonderful experience.

Then all of you started giving suggestions and comments to improve the site and also gave some stuff to upload for all users. That force ended me with a OKOK site at the end of the SEM 5. But it was deleted accidentally by the server.

Then I thought that everyone should be able to upload the files on their own, discuss some issues (for those who were not in Orkut) and many more things. I am trying to implement those things and bringing this site for all again to be used AS A COMMON MEDIUM in SEM 6 to SEM 8.

I think now I got something in which All could access the common assignment and other matter no matter which ID they are using.

Get the information in their INBOX about any issue in the college.

For the persons who did not wanted to join ORKUT due to privacy reasons, I provided the option to hide yourself from other users.

Discuss forum to the users (idea by Vibhav Mishra, INSTU).


Now I want to provide a common database for the students in which they could edit there information and anyone wanting to contact him could easily get the contact ID or phone number. This idea came during PRAXIS when in a day we wrote our contact number and email id twice. Then came next day and did it again. On asking why you again want it? Suraj said, "Yesterday's list is with Apurva and she is absent today".

I have the information of registered members and think that now they would not be asked again to write the details. I request all to register and update their contact details.

This was the end of SEMs long fight which started with the yahoo group discussion, ORKUT, database of Email IDs and ended here with this site. Hope this site would be accepted by all the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment